Columbia Borough is defined by various zoning districts. The Zoning Ordinance lists permitted uses for each district. Districts include residential (rural, low density, medium density, high density), commercial (downtown, neighborhood, highway), industrial (light, general), park, and conservation. Each district has specific regulations including set backs, structure height, parking and sign requirements.
The seven-member Zoning Board of Adjustment is appointed by Borough Council. The Board meets as needed on the last Wednesday of each month.
Donald Haines – Chair
Joseph Nikolaus, Vice Chair
Jonathan Lutz, Member
Steve White – Member
Vacant – Member
David Brumbaugh – alternate
Zoning applications are available at the Borough Office, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays, from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Filing deadlines for each month are available on request by calling 717-684-2467.
At the July 28, 2014 council meeting Council approved a Quick Ticket Ordinance. a $25.00 ticket will be issued immediately for the following items with abatement costs if not corrected:
No Smoke Detectors – $200 plus cost of smoke detector
Illegal Burning – $200
High Grass and Weeds – $75.00
Accumulation of trash – $200
Abandoned Hazardous Vehicle – $180
Infestation of Rodents – $100
Raw Sewage in Basement/Sidewalk – $200
Failure to remove snow from sidewalk – $50
The Code Compliance Department administrates all ordinances related to Health, Safety and Public Welfare of the community through the administration of local, state and federal codes. These codes regulate the use and maintenance of public and private real estate & structures.
Specifically, the Department oversees the:
- Handicap Parking Ordinance
- Health & Sanitation Ordinance
- Historic District Ordinance
- Rental Registration/Inspection/Licensing Ordinance
- Property Maintenance Ordinance
- Uniform Construction Code Ordinance
- Portions of the Streets and Sidewalk Ordinance
- Subdivision & Land Development (Planning) Ordinance
- Zoning Ordinance
In administrating the above ordinances, the department:
- Distributes & processes requests for handicap street parking signs
- Inspects & licenses eating and drinking establishments
- Investigates rubbish & other sanitary issue complaints
- Distributes & processes requests for exterior construction work in the historic district
- Registers, inspects and licenses rental dwelling buildings
- Investigates property maintenance complaints
- Reviews structural, mechanical, electrical, HVAC & plot plans
- Issues building, curb/sidewalk, and street opening permits
- Distributes & processes applications for subdividing land & land development
- Distributes & processes zoning hearing applications
Department personnel also provide service to the following boards, commissions, and committees:
- Board of Health
- Historic Architectural Review Board
- Keystone Opportunity Zone – Lancaster Economic Revitalization Tax Abatement Board
- Parks & Recreation Commission
- Planning Commission
- Zoning Board of Adjustment
It is illegal and unlawful to post signs (yard sale, garage sale, etc) on public poles, trees or public property of any kind.
Garage/yard sales may only be held between the hours of 8:00 AM & 4:00PM. Items for sale must belong solely to the household where the sale is held. Only (1) four square foot sign shall be permitted advertising the sale. Such sign shall be located on the premises where the sale occurs. Such sales shall be limited to (2) per year and shall not extend beyond a (2) day period.
No vehicle, including boat trailers, camp trailers and any like devices, shall be allowed to remain parked on a Borough highway or street for a period longer than 48 hours. Moreover, when such vehicle is moved, it shall be moved no less a distance than twice its own length.
It is against the law to walk your dog and not have a bag with you to clean up your dog waste
The administrative and clerical staffs field a large number of daily telephone calls, walk-in visits, requests for information & appointments, and complaints while performing their usual typing, data entry, research, and inspection responsibilities.
The Code Compliance Department is located in the Borough Office at 308 Locust Street. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Most services can be addressed through the mail. For more information please call: 717-684-2467.